With 100-m high cliffs overlooking the gorge, Geibikei has been designated as National Scenic Beauty. The landscape formed by the elegantly flowing Satetsu River has created a unique atmosphere. A popular pastime is “funakudari,” traveling downstream in a boat for about 2 km while boatmen sing songs and paddle by hand. Just ahead of the end of the boat ride is a rocky cliff that has formed from the erosion of limestone layers. This cliff has been named Geibikei because it resembles a lion’s nose.
- 8:30–16:30 (Closing times may change depending on the season) *Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
- In bad weather conditions
- Adults: 1,600yen, Elementary school students: 860yen, Children younger than elementary school age (3 and over): 200yen
- 5 minutes on foot from JR Geibikei Station
- 467 Aza-machi, Nagasaka, Higashiyama-cho, Ichinoseki City, Iwate Prefecture (Geibi Tourist Center)